Altace (Ramipril) is used in the treatment of high blood pressure. Ramipril works by preventing the conversion of a chemical in your blood called angiotensin I into a more potent substance that increases salt and water retention in your body. It also enhances blood flow in your circulatory system.
Generic Altace is also marketed as: Acovil, cardace, Ramipril, Tritace.
*Altace® is manufactured by King Pharmaceuticals.
Generic Altace (ramipril) is in a group of drugs called ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme.
Generic Altace is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) or congestive heart failure, and to improve survival after a heart attack.
Take Generic Altace exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
Generic Altace can be taken with or without food.
Swallow the tablet whole.
You may open the Generic Altace capsule and sprinkle the medicine into a half-cup (4 ounces) of water, apple juice, or applesauce to make swallowing easier. Swallow without chewing.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Generic Altace: hives; severe stomach pain; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop taking Generic Altace and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- feeling like you might pass out;
- high potassium level (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling;
- dry mouth, thirst, confusion, swelling, and urinating less than usual or not at all;
- pale skin, dark colored urine, easy bruising or bleeding;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms, sores in your mouth and throat.
Less serious Generic Altace side effects may include:
- tired feeling, headache;
- dizziness, spinning sensation; or
- nausea, vomiting.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can further lower your blood pressure and may increase some of the side effects of Generic Altace. Do not use salt substitutes or potassium supplements while taking Generic Altace, unless your doctor has told you to.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- a diuretic (water pill);
- gold injections to treat arthritis;
- lithium (Lithobid, Eskalith);
- a potassium supplement such as K-Dur, Klor-Con;
- salt substitutes that contain potassium; or
- aspirin or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn, Naprelan, Treximet), celecoxib (Celebrex), diclofenac (Cataflam, Voltaren), indomethacin (Indocin), meloxicam (Mobic), and others.
This list is not complete and other drugs may interact with Generic Altace.