Hyzaar (Losartan potassium and Hydrochlorothiazide) is a combination of Losartan potassium and Hydrochlorothiazide and is used for treating high blood pressure and to decrease the risk of stroke. Generic Hyzaar is one of Merck's best-selling drugs prescribed to treat hyperntesion & countless off-label uses.
Generic Hyzaar may also be marketed as: Cozaar, Hyzaar, Losartan.
*Hyzaar® is a registered trademark of Merck
Generic Hyzaar tablets come in combination doses of Losartan potassium and hydrochlothiazide of 100mg/25mg or 50mg/12.5mg, respectively.
Generic Hyzaar contains a combination of hydrochlorothiazide and losartan. Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention. Losartan is an angiotensin II receptor antagonists. Losartan keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
Generic Hyzaar is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). It is also used to lower the risk of stroke in certain people with heart disease.
Take Generic Hyzaar exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Your doctor may occasionally change your dose to make sure you get the best results.
Take Generic Hyzaar with a full glass (8 ounces) of water.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Generic Hyzaar: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. In rare cases, Hyzaar can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure.
Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Stop using Generic Hyzaar and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
- eye pain, vision problems;
- feeling light-headed, fainting;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual, or not at all;
- drowsiness, confusion, mood changes, increased thirst, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting;
- fast or pounding heartbeats;
- pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- high potassium (slow heart rate, weak pulse, muscle weakness, tingly feeling).
Less serious Generic Hyzaar side effects may include:
- stomach pain;
- back pain;
- dizziness, tired feeling;
- skin rash;
- runny or stuffy nose, sore throat; or
- dry cough.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Generic Hyzaar may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. Drinking alcohol can further lower your blood pressure and may increase certain side effects of Hyzaar.
Avoid becoming overheated or dehydrated during exercise and in hot weather. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink. In some cases, drinking too much liquid can be as unsafe as not drinking enough.
Do not use potassium supplements or salt substitutes while you are taking Hyzaar, unless your doctor has told you to.
Before taking hydrochlorothiazide and losartan, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:
- any other blood pressure medications;
- steroids (prednisone and others);
- lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid);
- celecoxib (Celebrex) or valdecoxib (Bextra);
- cholestyramine (Prevalite, Questran) or colestipol (Colestid);
- rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane, Rifater);
- a barbiturate such as amobarbital (Amytal), butabarbital (Butisol), mephobarbital (Mebaral), secobarbital (Seconal), or phenobarbital any other diuretics, ethacrynic acid (Edecrin), furosemide (Lasix), hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ, HydroDiuril),
- aspirin or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), diclofenac (Voltaren), diflunisal (Dolobid), etodolac (Lodine), flurbiprofen (Ansaid), indomethacin (Indocin), ketoprofen (Orudis), ketorolac (Toradol), mefenamic acid (Ponstel), meloxicam (Mobic), nabumetone (Relafen), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), piroxicam (Feldene), and others;
- a muscle relaxer such as baclofen (Lioresal), carisoprodol (Soma), cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril), dantrolene (Dantrium), metaxalone (Skelaxin), or methocarbamol (Robaxin), orphenadrine (Norflex), or tizanidine (Zanaflex);
- a narcotic medication such as hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin), hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Palladone), levorphanol (Levo-Dromoran), meperidine (Demerol), methadone (Methadose), morphine (Kadian, MS Contin), oxycodone (OxyContin), or propoxyphene.
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with hydrochlorothiazide and losartan. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use.